Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Endure to the end, we must!

Hey everyone!
Answers first.
Dad, I´m not sure exactly how much of the vitamin supply I have left, but I´ll put it this way. I have enough to last, but it wouldn´t be a bad idea to send more. I have been taking them semi-regularly, more like twice a day than 3. I am trying to do better.
Tom and Julie- thank you so much for all your help!
I have not actually bought anything with my birthday money, I got it out of the ATM so that I have it when I have time to go get something! I´ll let you know what I get!
Mom, we have lunch with members 5 days out of the week, and the rest of the meals, we are on our own. We eat pasta mostly, and cereal. They have amazing frosted corn flakes here, and not much else by the way of cereal. I also have toast made in the frying pan occasionally.
I was able to see most of Conference, and what I saw was in real time (by satellite). We were late to the first session because we took the wrong bus to the stake center, and ended up in a completely wrong area. We got there right as President Uchtdorf was starting. And we didn´t get to watch the Priesthood session because it started at 9:00 PM for us, and seeing as we have to be home by 9:30 at the latest, we couldn´t watch it. (There are no exceptions to this rule, not even for conference. Sad.) But what I saw, I loved. I can´t wait for the Ensign, which yes, Mom, we will get.
Speaking of conference, I want to share some of my favorite quotes:
´´Trees slow down their growth when conditions are less than ideal. Now you are probably saying: That´s all nice and good, but... what does it have to do with airplanes?´´ -Dieter F. Uchtdorf (the best part being that it actually could be connected to airplanes)
´´There comes a time when milestones can become millstones.´´ -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
´´Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.´´ -Dieter F. Uchtdorf
´´Satan is voting against me, the Lord is voting for me. It´s my vote that counts.´´ -Boyd K. Packer
´´Every person bound in prison by sin has the key to get out. It is labeled: ´Repentance´ ´´ -Boyd K. Packer
´´Joseph Smith could not translate when he was angry or upset. He could do nothing save he was humble and faithful.´´ -Dallin H. Oaks
´´Before the Savior fed the 4,000 with 7 loaves and a few fishes, He gave thanks for having those 7 fishes.´´ -Thomas S. Monson (See Matthew 15:36)
´´We never know how soon it will be too late.´´ -Thomas S. Monson
´´Beware of things that can destroy from the inside out.´´ -Per G. Malm
´´You stupid cow!´´ -Mervyn B. Arnold (from his wife)
´´Fly-fisherman are like Lucifer!´´ -M. Russell Ballard
´´Endure to the end, we must.´´ -Thomas S. Monson (though I think he stole that from Yoda!)
That line from President Monson´s closing address is good council. It seems like all the other counsel we received this conference and in every conference is focused on how to do just that. Endure to the End. The 3rd missionary lesson has 6 steps. We can be clean through Christ and His atonement. Faith in Him. Repentance. Baptism. Receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost. Endure to the End. Generally the first 5 are learned and put in to practice by an investigator in a matter of weeks. They can be completely converted in a single lesson, even by one single witness from the Holy Ghost. Their baptism and confirmation happen soon after. That process is soon complete, and they are left with one main objective that they will work at, struggle with, and continue to learn how to do for the rest of their lives. Almost every thing we do in the Church is to help us endure to the end. There are two key things that will in truth, help us the most out of any other thing. What are they? Think, what two things we have been COMMANDED to do every single day.... Read the Scriptures, and Pray. Everything else will become a joy, rather than a drudgery if we but do these two things every day. Problems will be faced with knowledge, tasks with confidence, decisions with inspiration. As Elder Bednar said, I challenge each and every person who reads this to start reading from the Scriptures (including conference talks), and praying every day, if they are not already doing that. I promise that if you do, you will receive more of the Spirit in your life, and have more desire and ability conquer your problems and enjoy your blessings. How well timed, and well said is the counsel from our wonderful prophet. Let us all hearken to his voice, for indeed, at this time, ´´Endure to the end, we must!´´
I almost forgot! This was the first conference I can remember without waffles! It was sad. The saddest part though, is that Elder Pepito and I had to leave inbetween Sunday sessions to go to an appointment, and THE OTHER MISSIONARIES MADE WAFFLES WHILE WE WERE GONE! Can you beleive that! haha. I guess I will survive, and enjoy them all the more when I come home.
As always, I am out of time again. I love you all so much! Thank you for every thing each of you do for me!

--
Elder Scot Daniel Stobbe Jr
Argentina Buenos Aires South Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment