Monday, January 17, 2011

Lots of pictures



My new companion, Elder Allen
There was a storm the other day, so of course we went up on the roof and enjoyed it!







This was consecrated shortly have this picture was taken.

Homemade fried empanadas. An Argentine classic.


Largest cathedral in South America (we go past it every week for district meeting)



Classic pile of Argentine Darbage (dirt-garbage)



The world goes ´round like a merry-go-round. Sometimes you´re up, sometimes you´re down.

We have just had transfers, and sadly, after only one transfer, E. Mortensen has left. He was called to be a Zone Leader in the zone of Quilmes, where I was born. I am sad to see him go, but I know he is going to be an awesome leader. I am now with E. Allen, who was actually in my zone when I got here as well. So this change is not as bad, seeing as I already know my companion. He is from South Jordan, and played wide receiver for Bingam High. (in case you are interested dad, his full name is Jordan Allen, graduated ´09) For those of you who don´t know, Bingham High is basically equivalent to Timpview as far as skill and championships. If that still doesn´t help, they are one of the top 5A Football teams in the state. Or basically, he is really, really good at football. He has almost 16 months in the mission. We were already friends from before, so this will be a fun transfer. I don´t know if it will show in the picture I sent, but he looks ALOT like David Prina. The effect was strengthened when I got here and my first week he had a crick in his neck, so couldn´t turn his head all the way, and squinted with one eye. David, I love you! I will be remembering you a lot this transfer!

This transfer we have a few baptismal dates, and some investigators who are progressing really well! One is going to get married on Feb. 4th, and get baptized on the 5th. His name is Emilio, and his current girlfriend is a member. I am so excited to see them married and him receive the blessings of baptism and the gift of the Holy Ghost. We have another family who are waiting to get a divorce so they can get married and baptized. Please pray for them. It is really hard to get divorced here. That is, it takes a LONG time. Their names are Gerardo, Gladis, and Lucia.

We had quite a fun week last week, as you can probably see from the pictures. We had good lessons, found cool new investigators, did splits with some Bolivian boys in our ward, played in the rain, helped build Emilio´s house, helped dig out Emilio´s tree that fell in the storm, went to Emilio´s birthday party, and had our final meeting with our zone. It was a good way to end the transfer.

This week we found a guy named Leonel, who is 18 or 19. We talked to his mom first and she told us that he is shy, because he is missing one eye. She said he always wears sun glasses, and never looks people in the eye. She didn´t even look at me as she said it, and I wondered if she didn´t notice my eye. As you can imagine, I had an immediate connection with him. I instantly wanted to help him. Not only with the Gospel, but help him see that someone can live normally with a ´´messed up´´ eye. We started talking, but we didn´t mention his eye, because he wasn´t there when she told us, and didn´t want him to know she had. So we talked about Joseph Smith and the Book of Mormon. He seemed a little interested and we set an appointment to go back. I thought it was so cool that I could find a person that I could help with my experiences. You can´t really see me without noticing my eye, but it doesn´t prevent me from doing the work. I want to show him that it doesn´t have to be a stumbling block for him. I have been praying strongly for him ever since we met. We are going to pass by on Wednesday, and see how he is doing. I am so excited to help him progress.

I want to give a thank you to a few people from whom I have received mail. Marilyn and David, Sunny and Darren, Laura Montes, and all others who have sent me letters and/or packages. It always makes my day when I get them.

Mom, I still haven´t gotten my Christmas package. The elders in the offices told me that when we have interviews with President Stapley (some time this transfer) that I will be able to get it then. Oh well. Also, I will look for a place around here to fix my glasses, and let you know how much it will cost.

Dad, I have a request. I have had to do quite a few repairs on my bike, and the mission only covers for half of the cost. If you could put some money on my card to help out, that would be awesome! Maybe like $40 or $50, just so I can make it to the end of the month. (haha, poor desperate missionary)

Oops! Times up again!

love you all, and will talk to you next week! Thank you for all of your love and prayers. Give all the kids hugs and kisses from Uncle Scoty!





No comments:

Post a Comment