Monday, November 8, 2010

November 8th 2010

Hey Everyone!

I have loved hearing from everyone. Thanks for always sending your
hellos and prayers my way.

I am so glad to hear you guys found a house! It looks pretty nice,
with all sorts of cool add-ons like trampolines and playrooms! I am
not exactly sure where Fox Hollow is, but Highland is Highland.

I don´t have very much time today, it is already passed P-day time,
but we got stuck waiting for a train after playing soccer with our
Zone Leaders. So this won´t be very long. I am just going to share a
little lesson from my study this week.

On Saturday morning, I was looking for something new to study, having
only been reading in Doctrine and Covenants the last few days. So I
did the old ´´open-up-the-Book-of-Mormon-and-read-whatever-it-says´´
trick. I ended up opening to Alma 31. This is where Alma hears about
some sketchy things that are going on with the Zoramites, like
´´worshiping dumb idols´´. He was sad, or as it says, ´´sickened´´ by
the thought that a part of his people had separated from the Nephites
and were ´´perverting the ways of the Lord´´. So he takes some of his
friends, the sons of Mosiah, a few brethren from the Church, and two
of his sons, and they all head down to Antionum to try and help the
Zoramites with the good word of God.

´´And now, as the preaching of the word had a great tendency to lead
the people to do that which was just—yea, it had had more powerful
effect upon the minds of the people than the sword, or anything else,
which had happened unto them—therefore Alma thought it was expedient
that they should try the virtue of the word of God.´´
-verse 5

That was the first scripture that jumped out at me. I love the thought
that the preaching of the word of God has a more powerful effect upon
the minds of the people than the sword. Imagine if instead of police,
and armies, we just sent missionaries to resolve world conflicts.
´´This country is stealing your oil and you want to send your tanks
and guns to stop them? Great, let´s go teach them how the Gospel has
been restored and we can live together forever with our familes if we
don´t break commandments by stealing!´´ or something like that. The
Doctrine of Christ has the power to change even the hardest heart, and
redeem even the vilest sinner. And when threats with the sword could
possibly just make things worse, every single person can benefit from
the word of God.

I just realized that I am almost out of time. I can´t finish, so I
invite each of you to read this chapter when you have some time.
Especially look for the difference between the prayers of the
Zoramites from the Rameumtom, and the prayer Alma offers from the
pained depths of his heart. And then look for what Alma does to try
and fix the situation! I love the Book of Mormon. Every word of it is
true, and can help us in our life. I know without a doubt that this
Church is the only true Church of Jesus Christ on the earth. I know
that what I am doing as a missionary is the Lord´s work, and hopefully
I can help many more people receive the blessings of the Restored
Gospel.

I love everyone and I send my love and hello to everyone who is
reading this, and even some who aren´t!

¡Hasta la próxima semana!

No comments:

Post a Comment